Re: Adding and removing a user automatically

[You (Martin Schulze)]
>Adam P. Harris writes:
>> Um!  Adding users is a gross violation of policy.   From section 3.2:
>>
>> No package except base-passwd may modify /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, or /etc/g
>roup.

>If you use an /etc/passwd from hamm, I guess no.  The passwd
>maintainer hasn't added the user for me for a long time, even in
>bo it is non-existant.  This means that the postinst has to
>create it otherwise the package can't work.  Period.

Actually, Richard Braakman pointed out that there is a facility allowed
in the policy for dynamic creation of users.  I had skipped over this
para:

[Policy Sec 3.2, further down]
>  100-999:
>       Dynamically allocated system users and groups. Packages which
> need a user or group, but can
>       have this user or group allocated dynamically and differently on
> each system, should use `adduser
>       --system' to create the group and/or user. adduser will check
> for the existence of the user or
>       group, and if necessary choose an unused id based on the ranged
> specified in adduser.conf.

Sorry to come down like a policy cop, and I wasn't even right.