Re: why ddd-?motif are gone from archive?

Enrique Zanardi wrote
> On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 08:42:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> > Am 05.03.98 schrieb sr1 # os.inf.tu-dresden.de ...
> >
> > Moin Sven!
> >
> > SR> For -smotif: Whenever a program works sufficiently well with lesstif
> > SR> we don't need the -smotif version anymore.
> >
> > How can you test that? I think that the user should decide with version he
> > wants.
> [...]
> > SR> shared library. IMHO its up to the package maintainer whether he
> > SR> creates the -dmotif package.
> >
> > No!!! If the maintainer doesn#t own a Motif license he can#t maintain the
> > package.
>
> How odd! I thought that providing a (working) lesstif version of a
> package was better for our users than not providing any version at all.
>
> > I (and a lot of users) don#t have a problem to use commercial programs.
>
> It's ok, but I don't see why you are telling me I can't provide a lesstif
> version of a program, if I don't provide Motif ones as well. It' sounds
> as if you have problems with _non-commercial_ programs.

I think the point is more that the maintainer should preferably be somebody that
can actually create the *-dmotif packages. This is catering for users which
have the libraries, not supporting or otherwise encouraging the use of
commercial libraries. While I agree it is better to have a lesstif dependent
package than none at all, we should aim at having motif packages maintained
by people who actually have the commercial libraries and can generate the
*-dmotif and possibly *-smotif versions.

Luis.
--
Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
PGP Fingerprint = F8 B1 13 DE 22 22 94 A1  14 BE 95 8E 49 39 78 76