Re: not a first amendment question

Erik Andersen <andersen@inconnect.com> writes:

> For me though, this is not the reason Debian shouldn't include the Bible.
> We shouldn't include it because it is outside the scope of Debian, and
> solidly in the scope of Project Gutenburg.  If we include the Bible (kjv)
> then are we going to include the Qur'aan, Torah, Talmud, Bhagawad-Gita,
> and Book of Mormon too?

In the end (if we had more storage than we know what to do with), I'd
love to see Debian packages of all these things, or at least
installers for them.

> Debian is _not_ here to distribute texts, pictures, information, or
> silly sex quizzes, unless they happin to directly relate to Unix,
> Debian, Linux, and Free Software.

This is awfully general.  I wouldn't be surprised if many of the
packages we have now would fail this test.

> (i.e. absolutly nothing blatently religious, sexual, or depictive of
> human anatomy should be included unless it has direct bearing on
> Unix, Debian, Linux, and Free Software).

Imagine someone comes out with a free medical anatomy trainer, like
the kind used in some medical school these days.  I'd certainly like
to see that in Debian.

My point here is that we ought to be careful about the generalizations
we make -- I actually liked the voting proposal someone else
suggested.  If a package is controversial, the maintainers can vote it
up or down.

[ More generally: I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here.  I'm
really not trying to be a pain, but I am concerned. ]

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>