group of Java maintainers was Re: guavac, kaffe, kore, a free java development environment?

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> writes:

> On 22 Nov 1997, Jim Pick wrote:
> > Patrick Tullman has some patches he is going to release for kaffe
> > (version 0.8.4, I think) to make it work with kore:
> >
> >   http://www.jimpick.com/lists/kore-list/0021.html
> >
> > Of course, he's overdue with submitting the patches.  So everybody
> > is basically in a holding pattern waiting for them.
>
> OK.  I think I'll hold off a bit and wait for your packages then.

What about building a group of Java maintainers!?

The tools around Java are in great flux. So it's difficult for a
single to put all the peaces together. Let us divide the load between
some people. Another goal of this group can be to provide a coherent
environment and implement the missing peaces.

A first step can be to set up basic package that provides an overview
about the available tools, i.e. an htmlized version of Bens posting
about the Free Java Development Environment as a starting point.

Another advantage of a group is that we are able to do non-maintainer
releases with more ease as we are all aware of the personal status of
each other.

What do you think about this idea in general?

Can the following list be the starting point of the different aspects
of each team member? Have I set up a wrong person to a special
package? Are there other people interested?

package:       coordinator

guavac:        Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
jdk:           Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
kaffe:         Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com>
kore:          Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
biss-awt:      Christian Leutloff <leutloff@sundancer.oche.de>
java-base-doc: Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>

Should we set up a Java related mailing list or a common mail address
like java-group@debian.org!? Btw., can we use Java or is it a
trademark of Sun, that we can't use here??

Bye
  Christian

--
Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany