Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

> No, give *us* a break.  Debian *IS* about free software, that *is*
> it's primary goal, everything else is secondary; by your own admission
> you didn't know that when you joined the project, and you don't seem
> to understand it now.

No, I didn't know that when I joined.  Does that matter!  What I am trying to
get across here is a valid arguement anyways.  Sure Debian *IS* about free
software and that *is* its primary goal.  My arguement to maybe work on our
relation to non-free by no means conflicts with the main goal of freeness.

> > I think it stems from the fact it is maintained entirely by
> > volunteers and is related really closely to what makes Linux so
> > cool.
>
> A number of the Debian volunteers (including some of the most
> important ones) work on this project *because* of it's freeness.

sure, and alot of them work on it for other reasons.   your point would be?

> > > ps. Have we started making prospective maintainers look at the
> > > DFSG yet?
> >
> > humm, get them while they're fresh and can't form their own
> > opinions.  Humm...
>
> "get them"?  How does asking them to read and understand the DFSG
> constitute "getting them"?  You're doing a huge injustice to new
> developers if you're suggesting that they can't form their own opinion
> and would be influenced soley by the fact that the new-maintainer
> people asked to read and understand Debian's social contract.

No way.  It is not an injustice -- it is reality.  My comment is based on the
fact that it is not possible to truely understand the concept of the DFSG and
its relation to Debian until you experience being a developer and listening to
the mail for awhile.  At first when I heard the dissent stuff from Chris and
so on, I thought it was crap.  And then someone pointed me towards the DFSG
and I thought they were a little harsh but understandable.  But now, I have
simply come to realize that they are entirely taken to be too much of some
kind of Bible -- and in their current state, I don't think they are deserving
of this.

Not that I am trying to say (or ever meant to say) they were all 100% bad!  I
just was hoping for a little thought of revision.

-----
Brought to you by the letters E and K and the number 9.

Paul J. Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu>
<http://thomppj.student.okstate.edu/~thomppj/>