Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

Paul J Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu> writes:

[ Hmm, filladapt doesn't like Manoj's tabs ]

> > I, for one. like the angle we are coming from.
>
> for one...

And me, Bruce, Mark Baker, Dave Cook, Martin Mitchell and Tyson
Dowd...  Well, anyway, those are the people I could find who were
Debian Developers and active on IRC.  (Bruce isn't on IRC, but I think
I can safely guess Bruce's position on the DFSG)

> > You have to draw the line some where. And the project drew the
> > line at the DFSG. It *is* like netscape -- it is just a matter of
> > degree.
>
> "the project"?  I don't think "the project" drew the line anywhere.

We had a vote, any of the people who make the project (the developers)
could vote and only two voted against it.  (Incidentally one of those
two was me, and I did so because I thought the DFSG was too lax[1]).
So the project *did* draw the line, 70+ yes votes versus 2 no is a
fairly substantial majority.

> There are too many people complaining now for "the project" to have
> been responsible for the line drawing...  basically, the DFSG are
> (trying to be nice) in need of revision.

Boulderdash.  There are very few people complaining, basically a
regular vocal tiny minority of people who have opposed the DFSG for
quite some time, (Christoph, Alex Y. and you).  You might have noticed
you're not getting much support from anyone else.

> > Debian is not the representatiev Linux distribution, it is not the
> > most popular, it is the *FREE* one. OK?
>
> give me a break!  Get over it!  There is a world beyond free!

No, give *us* a break.  Debian *IS* about free software, that *is*
it's primary goal, everything else is secondary; by your own admission
you didn't know that when you joined the project, and you don't seem
to understand it now.

> > Because by our definition of free, it is not. Sorry. Lines in the
> > sand.
>
> here comes a wave...

haha. (not)

> I think it stems from the fact it is maintained entirely by
> volunteers and is related really closely to what makes Linux so
> cool.

A number of the Debian volunteers (including some of the most
important ones) work on this project *because* of it's freeness.

> > ps. Have we started making prospective maintainers look at the
> > DFSG yet?
>
> humm, get them while they're fresh and can't form their own
> opinions.  Humm...

"get them"?  How does asking them to read and understand the DFSG
constitute "getting them"?  You're doing a huge injustice to new
developers if you're suggesting that they can't form their own opinion
and would be influenced soley by the fact that the new-maintainer
people asked to read and understand Debian's social contract.

[1] In that it allows people to forbid distribution of programs in a
modified form except via patches.  I still think this is evil, but
that's another kettle of fish entirely.

--
James