Re: including Qt on Debian

On Fri, Oct 31, 1997 at 04:08:44PM +1000, Conrad Sanderson wrote:

> Could you please explain to me why you don't want to include Qt on
> the Debian distribution ?

Qt's licence fails many DFSG requirements (Debian Free Software guide - A text that describes
what we consider free and therefor include in Debian main distribution). We already have QT
in the nonfree distribution, where all kinds of problematicly licensed programs are located.

> The Qt library can be distributed in 2 forms: binary library version
> and development version.  Only the development version has the licensing
> "problems" for commercial users.

DFSG doesn't allow any discrimination against any users - We want to be sure that anyone who
downloads debian can be assured that he /she can use everything included in the distribution.

> KDE is a significant step in the UNIX world, and many people would
> benefit greatly from using it.  It requires the Qt library and it is
> sad to see that such a great program won't be included on Linux
> distributions because of some perceived commercial licensing problem.

KDE isn't the only desktop being created. Check GNOME (http://www.gnome.org/) and GNUSTEP.
the previous is a 100% free KDE alternative, the latter is a free implementation of OPENSTEP API,
that is used in the Nextstep OS, and will be used in the next MacOS version.

Sincerly,
	Riku Voipio