Re: including Qt on Debian

In article <[🔎] 345975EC.27CEB4D8@wave.me.gu.edu.au> you wrote:
: I have read the following in comp.os.linux.development.apps

: >Debian is a non-profit org, but
: >they too intend that their distribution should be suitable for use as
: >a commercial product; thus, even though Debian GNU/Linux may not
: >*itself* be a commercial product, they do not consider QT an
: >appropriate thing to include.

: Could you please explain to me why you don't want to include Qt on
: the Debian distribution ?

qt is already available in the non-free section of our ftp archive.
Every CD-Rom vendor can decide for themselves if they want to
distribute parts of the non-free section or not. We need to separate
qt from the rest of the distribution because it has different licensing
requirements and the CD-Rom vendors need to decide based on their reading
of the qt license whether to include it or not.

: The Qt library can be distributed in 2 forms: binary library version
: and development version.  Only the development version has the licensing
: "problems" for commercial users.

Both forms are available on the non-free section.

: KDE is a significant step in the UNIX world, and many people would
: benefit greatly from using it.  It requires the Qt library and it is
: sad to see that such a great program won't be included on Linux
: distributions because of some perceived commercial licensing problem.

The Linux world has some problems with the licensing of qt. KDE would
be accepted more if qt would also be under the GPL.