Re: PAM support in Samba

On 21 Oct 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Remco Blaakmeer <remco@cal011205.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>
> : Which version of the Samba package do you call 'old'? The latest version,
> : 1.9.17p2-0.0, was made September 28th. I wouldn't call this old.
>
> Well, that was a non-maintainer release because of the serious security
> hole. I agree that's not too old but it was uploaded under exceptional
> circumstances. I nothing had happened, samba-1.9.16p19 would still be
> sitting there.

True.

> Any way, 1.9.17p4 was released today, and it fixes a pretty annoying
> bug that makes Windows 95 machines lock at logout.

I didn't know that.

> : Besides, if you want a working libc6-based Samba I think you'd better try
> : to contribute to making libc6-based PAM packages.
>
> I asked because right now I don't have the time to upgrade the PAM
> packages to libc6. What I can do is to upgrade Samba to libc6. If that's
> not enough then I will understand. Also, I think I remember Klee was
> going to work on the port, so why to duplicate efforts?

OK, go right ahead if you want. I had the impression Joost had (almost?)
figured out what's needed to compile Samba with libc6 (look at the
changelog to see what I mean), so I thought your efforts wouldn't be
needed to do this (IIRC, Klee is the maintainer for Samba, but I don't
know how busy he is).

Remco