Re: Lessons (KDE & GNOME & Linux)

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> In article <[🔎] m0xNkwN-00IS1IC@golem.pixar.com> you wrote:
> : > Linus said that Linux success is due to the pragmatic approach taken to
> : > UNIX software development and due to his insistence of not being bogged
> : > down by insisting on "principles" or other central doctrines.
>
> : He also said the best decision he ever made was to GPL the kernel. That
> : sounds like insisting on the same principles we insist on.
>
> But he also said that commercial linux software has its proper place in
> the Linux world. Its no universal principle and he is definitely not
> insisting on all software being GPLed. Just that it worked for one
> project does not mean it is good for all. Linus explicitly said that
> he thinks something like a GUI might be better in the hands of a
> commercial enterprise (with which I would disagree also).

I'm a bit confused by the path of this discussion. First by why it is
being argued in the "voice" of Linus and not Richard. (This is a
discussion about Free Software, isn't it?)

What confuses me more, Christoph, is that you seem to be saying that it is
a disasterous mistake for Debian to insist that packages conform to the
DFSG to get into main. If I have missed your point, then what exactly is
this "mistake" that we are making?

Waiting is,

Dwarf