Re: PAM support in Samba

Hi Remco,

Remco Blaakmeer <remco@cal011205.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

: > Any way, 1.9.17p4 was released today, and it fixes a pretty annoying
: > bug that makes Windows 95 machines lock at logout.
:
: I didn't know that.

Yup, it was announced today in the Samba mailing list. I am proud I
helped the Samba team to hunt this bug down (I found the way of
reproducing the lock at logout :-)

: OK, go right ahead if you want. I had the impression Joost had (almost?)
: figured out what's needed to compile Samba with libc6 (look at the
: changelog to see what I mean), so I thought your efforts wouldn't be
: needed to do this (IIRC, Klee is the maintainer for Samba, but I don't
: know how busy he is).

Well, I haven't seen Joost version of Samba for Debian (1.9.17p2-0.0?)
because I am maintaining my own Debian package of Samba for myself.
I will download his package right now to see what you mean :-)

My own experience regarding porting Samba to libc6 is that only a couple
of header files have to be included and a couple of #ifdef GLIBC2
have to be added. As a matter of fact, I sent my patches to compile
Samba with libc6 to the Samba team and they included them in the
upstream release :-)

Regarding Klee, I think he's quite busy and probably with problems with
his e-mail again.

In the meanwhile, I am working to have the option of running Samba
either from inetd or as daemons, per user's choice at configuration
time. This was the consensus when I asked here a couple of weeks ago.

And finally, a good news for the Samba package: the next major release
of Samba (1.9.18) won't depend on libdes. They are using a subset of
DES for authentication purposes only and according to them, there
are no export restrictions. This means that the sambades package could
disappear pretty soon :-)

OK, more coments about droping PAM support in Debian Samba for a litle
while are welcome.

See ya!

E.-

--