Re: Policy mailing lists

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Greg" == Greg Vence <gvence@bellsouth.net> writes:
>
> Greg> Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> >> (a) you didn't know about the imminent nature of this policy and
> >> would have wanted to add your input during its formation ?  In this
> >> case I'd say that it's reasonable to ask you to subscribe to
> >> debian-policy.
>
> Greg> I believe it is close to the (a) choice.  What would be useful
> Greg> is a mechanism that brings the developer mail on policy
> Greg> discussions that affect their packages.  In other words it may
> Greg> be useful to use <package>@packages.debian.org for more than
> Greg> announcements or bring the discussion back to debian-devel.
>
>         In other words, you do not like the debian-policy mailing
>  list. I do not blame you. I did not like the explosion either. But it
>  _was_ decided to have the policy matters moved to the policy list,
>  and I think we gotta live with it.

Actually, its great if someone wants to look over the shoulder's and
read it.  However, if you've already got limited time then reading every
list to see if something impacts your packages is unreasonable.

>         Moreover, it may not be feasib;e to bring in all the packages
>  that may be effected by every topic on the policy lists, since at
>  least fir some the packages affected are not immediately clear, or
>  may involve a large number.

BTW, I thought the final decisions were to be made through the
debian-devel from proposals of debian-policy.  Wouldn't this have the
same effect as including packages into the descussion that will have
been impacted?

> Greg> Also, some maintainers may prefer a mechanism that would allow
> Greg> them to remove the package from the thread if the deam it
> Greg> irrelavent.
>
>         This is getting way too complex. People who wish to craft
>  policy should get on the mailing list. Changes to policy should be
>  distributed more widely.

This was just a suggestion.  It could allow the removal of duplicates
you mentioned...

L8r -- Greg.
--
What do you want to spend today?
Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)