RE: Why does sendmail depend on procmail?

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Michael Meskes wrote:

> Wait a moment.Why is procmail executed everytime? I have my own
> sendmail.cf where procmail isn't mentioned at all.

Then it won't run.  However, the greatest majority of users need a MDA,
deliver used to be used in that role.  However, deliver isn't maintained
upstream and procmail is better, so after a discussion between myself (I
maintain deliver) and the sendmail maintainer, we decided to make sendmail
always use procmail.  Procmail is a much better MDA than deliver, and I've
not yet run across someone who actually uses the features in deliver.
RedHat has used procmail exclusively for some time.