RE: Why does sendmail depend on procmail?

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:

> Procmail is a much better MDA than deliver, and I've not yet run
> across someone who actually uses the features in deliver.  RedHat has
> used procmail exclusively for some time.

i used to use deliver quite extensively. i *like* the fact that you can
write your own perl or shell script to filter your mail. it is very
flexible.  OTOH, i dislike the fact that you have to write a script,
even for simple filtering and that every message delivered requires
the overhead of forking at least one extra shell or perl (or whatever)
interpreter.

i switched to procmail some time ago.  I prefer it - it does what i need
quickly and with minimum hassle (and i can optionally pipe messages into
my own perl or shell script if i want to).

i still think deliver is a good program, but procmail suits my needs
better.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract