Re: analog copyright question

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > 3) The program may be copied and distributed by any person or organisation in
> >    any way whatsoever, provided that any distribution is accompanied by a copy
> >    of the Readme file pertaining to the program. You may not charge for
> >    distributing the program without first informing the person to whom it is
> >    distributed that analog is free software.
> >
> > < This is a weird requirement. We do publisize a lot that debian is free
> > software, but is that good enough to meet this requirement? >
>
> We do not state that _analog_ is free software. (Take me as an example: I
> sell Debian CDs with analog, but I don't have a note on my web page
> stating that analog is `free'.)

On the other hand, one might argue that if the package is included in the
main distribution, then Debian considers it free software and does
advertise that fact. The question is whether the above license requires
Debian (or the CD distributor) to "call out" every piece of free software
explicitly in their advertizing. If memory serves, this is close to 1000
packages in the Debian distribution.

If the license were changed from a specific, to a general requirement for
the "clear" statement that the contents includes "free" software, it might
still be too restrictive for the main distribution, but I could distribute
it on my CDs with no problem. I've got room on the label to declare all of
the contents that is free. (Which is most of it)

Luck,

Dwarf