Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Hi,

	The only objection I have to the wrapper script is that it
 depends on the roots PATH having /usr/sbin before /usr/bin. At the
 moment, normal Debian installations work, irrespective of PATH
 ordering of root. We do not know how many sys admins change roots
 PATh. I do, my path setting script works on 15 different platforms,
 and uses perl to prune directories, etc.

	People who need to install GNU software on their own, now need
 to add to their PATH variable while running configure and make
 install for the gnu package. By default, I think, GNU stuff already
 looks into /usr/local/bin before looking into /usr/bin (so even the
 path change will not be required).

 a) The number of people who need to install GNU packages on their own
    is a minority of the users of Debian (I do not have any non-Debian
    GNU stuff at the moment)
 b) Most GNU software is already in Debian.

	So, to make things a trigle easier for a minority of the
 people, we are risking destabilizing the distribution?

	This makes no sense, people.

	If we can't get a merged version done, then we should say that
 people who meed the GNU version can put it in /usr/local/bin, and try
 # PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH ./configure --verbose \
                                       --prefix=/usr/local/
 # PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH make install

	It is not as though this is supposed to be done
 everyday.

	manoj
 First, DO NO HARM.
--
 "What happened to the kaboom? There was supposed to be an
 earth-shattering kaboom!" The Martian