Packaging helpers (Re: debstd-like tool for those who don't want to use debmake)

On 23 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	If people are still interested, I could either polish my
>  efforts with the help of deb-helper, or put it somewhere for others
>  to develop it further.

IMHO, 3 packaging helpers (debmake, joey's & yours) are 2 too many!
I love to have the choice between several softwares when it comes to www
browsers, mailers, etc... But for something as critical as our packaging
system, each developper should not have to choose between N+1 helpers. It
will only make things more complicated for developpers.

If several people are concerned by this, let's make a team to discuss and
work on it (similar to admintool, deity,...).

Any volunteers?

I personaly think the solution involving automake is the best one, and it
should be distributed along with the policy manual, so it will be easier
for us to have our packaging helper "in sync" with the policy.
(install debian-policy 2.3.0.0 and the helper will generate 2.3.0.0
compliant packages. Question of the day: Which version of debmake/joey's
tool would you need to make 2.3.0.0 compliant packages? (probably only the
tools' authors know)).

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -