Re: kde directory structure

Hi,
>>"Manong" == Manong Dibos <jwalther@citytel.net> writes:

Manong> On 20 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> I think any distribution that does not include Emacs or X11
>> packages sucks.

Manong> I dont see how sticking them in /opt constitutes "not
Manong> including" them.

	Because only third party software goes in /opt -- that means
 that Debian does not include those packages.

Fabrizio> First I would like to say that a package that installs under
Fabrizio> /opt is not a series B (meaning a less important thing) than
Fabrizio> a package that installs in /usr. I have clearly explaned the
Fabrizio> difference in my long post to debian-policy.

	No, you seemed to have missed the point in your own
 post. *Third party* software is what goes in /opt. Debian does not,
 by definition, distribute third party software as a part of *our*
 dstribution. Get it? We are the OS vendors.

Fabrizio> For the fact that emacs has put things in the /usr hierarchy without
Fabrizio> respecting the OS vendors ideas (as well as X11 did) is something
Fabrizio> historically accepted, without any influence on the useness of the
Fabrizio> program itself.

	Debian is the OS vendor. Debian packages emacs. Nothing Debian
 packages goes in /opt, or everything we package goes in /opt/ leaving
 /usr empty (if you think Debian is not the OS Vendor)

Fabrizio> There's no room for flame.

	You call this a flame? You have led a sheltered life ;-).

	manoj
--
 The greatest of fools is he who imposes on himself, and in greatest
 concern thinks certainly he knows that which he has least studied,