Re: kde directory structure

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Why do you want to throw away Marks packaging of Emacs? I
>  think it is a nice package. Which third party is going to package
>  these packages? Will the quality id the distribution drop if we
>  (Debian) do not provide these packages?
>
>         I think any distribution that does not include Emacs or X11
>  packages sucks.

First I would like to say that a package that installs under /opt is not
a series B (meaning a less important thing) than a package that installs
in /usr. I have clearly explaned the difference in my long post to
debian-policy.

Proposing to insatll things under /opt instead than under 7usr is
simplöy a way to permit creation of packages directly from the program
creator, not a separation from good and bad.
Please, don't mix License problems with this, they are quite different.

For the fact that emacs has put things in the /usr hierarchy without
respecting the OS vendors ideas (as well as X11 did) is something
historically accepted, without any influence on the useness of the
program itself.

There's no room for flame.

ciao,
Fabrizio