Re: Another dumb idea: debugging info in .deb's

Jim Pick writes:
 > > Note that all installed binaries should be stripped, either by using the
 > > -s flag to install, or by calling strip on the binaries after they have
 > > been copied into debian/tmp but before the tree is made into a package.
 >
 > Almost - except that if the 'install -s' method is used, getting binaries
 > with debugging info requires editing Makefiles instead of editing the
 > debian/rules file (which would be non-brainer in comparison).  What would
 > be nice if there was one consistent method for building packages with
 > debugging info - which is why I prefer the debian/rules approach.

Note that many many Makefile's use $(INSTALL) or $(INSTALL_PROGRAMS)
or such make variable. These programs just need debian/rules to use
"make INSTALL='install -s'" or similar. But surely some packages don't
use that :(

Something related I already thought about was separately distributing
debuging symbols, but I couldn't find how. GDB has a feature for that,
but it seems unimplemented for i386-*-linux at least. Don't know for
other archs. This feature is documented in GDB's info manual.

I also tried to isolate relevant sections of the binary files, but I
have little knowledge about that, and couldn't get my overstripped
files to be read by GDB :(

The whole idea was, when someone found a bug, to allow him to get the
debuging symbols to trace the problem if he wishes to, instead of
sending the whole core, which might even be unusable for the
maintainer (think about library upgrades between release-time and
bug-report-time).

I'd appreciate any comments on this.
--
Yann Dirson  <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>        | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,