Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

>  > >
>  > I agree completely!
>
> No, I think it's bad. Some packages do have letters in their version
> numbers (eg. libtool_1.0b). It may at least be legal, even if there is
> no lib like "libfoo3c" (are there any ?). At least there is possible
> ambiguity between "libfoo version 3g, libc5-compiled" and "libfoo
> version 3, libc6-compiled".

Well, first of all, we now have the ambiguity between the libfoog
for libc5, and libfoo for libc6, when we are presented
the name "libfoog3".

Also, realise that in your example, libtool_1.0b, it's the minor
version that includs the letter (b). That will not cause any problems,
as it will not be included in the package name. Also version letters
"g" are uncommon, to say the least.

Next, realise that for libraries, the soname is encoded twice:
libfoo3g_3.123, or libfoog3_3.123.
Now, you'll see that for the libfoo3g_3.123 there actually is _no_
ambiguity: the version number (outside the name, the 3.123) shows that
it is version 3, and thus the g in libfoo3g proves it is the glibc release.
But the libfoog3_3.123 _is_ ambiguous, that can still be the libc5 release
of libfoog version 3.

So, given that we have two options, both of wich are somewhat ambiguous,
I'd say, go for the one that, in nearly all cases will be read properly,
and poses least problems.
That leaves us with libfoo3g_3.23, not libfoog3.

> >From the policy (/usr/doc/debian-policy/libc6-migration.text.gz):

Yes, we know what the current policy says. We also know that most libc6
library packages have already been made, so all this disucssion is moot.
(the packages names aren't going to be changed whatever the result
of this discussion).
But we're Debian, and we just like to argue.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj