Re: Experimental base-passwd redesign

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Erik Andersen wrote:
> >
> > > Could your update-passwd program be easy written in perl?  That would
> > > make it architecture independent, and the base Debian system already
> > > depends on perl.  Just a thought (i.e. not a request).
> >
> > Please don't.  I find it disturbing that I have to install such a
> > large package as perl to get even a minimal Debian system up.  With a
> > little pruning, I was able to eliminate all packages depending on perl
> > except for dpkg-ftp.  Hopefully Diety will eliminate this dependency.
>
> I agree, it's annoying to have such a large package a critical part of the
> system. Without perl it is alot simpler to install debian on small
> computers for things like demand dial ppp (50M is ample if you are
> carefull)

If I recall right, the current perl package will be split into "perl-base"
and "perl". The first will be marked "Essential" and will be available on
all Debian systems. So installation will be easier than now (not that much
perl modules will be installed) but perl is still available.

> Anyhow, it's unlikely that Deity will use perl as part of it's core
> system, I'm not perl wiz at least ;>

Perl is a great language for sysadmins (and for others too). Since it
simplifies a lot of installation scripts and makes them more readable (to
Perl programmers :) I don't think we'll drop it from base in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,