Re: Virtual Package Names

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just testing some code and I noted that there are a number of
> virtual packages that do not appear in the 'Authoritative List of
> Virtual Package Names'
> (http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-policy/related-docs/virtual-package-names-list.text)
>
> Is this okay?
>
> Here a few,
>  gs_x (gs, gs-aladdin)
>  libreadline-dev (libreadline2-dev)
>  lpr (lprng)
>  tex (texbin, tetex-bin)

I'm not familiar with the details of these packages, but the ALOVPN
(Authoritative List of Virtual Package Names) also reads:

	``Packages MUST NOT use virtual package names (except privately,
        amongst a cooperating group of packages)''

I think this exception applies to these packages.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,