Re: Experimental base-passwd redesign

Hi,
>>"Jean" == Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com> writes:

Jean> On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Erik Andersen wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 06, 1997 at 06:03:05PM -0600, Galen Hazelwood wrote:
>> update-passwd is a C program, making the base-passwd package no
>> longer architecture-independent.  Another option would be to
>> separate update-passwd into its own package, leave only the
>> {passwd,group}.master files in base-passwd, and have the
>> base-passwd postinst only call update-passwd if it sees it
>> installed.  The problem with that is it creates package bloat (two
>> packages instead of one) and may just not be worth it.
>>
>> Could your update-passwd program be easy written in perl?  That
>> would make it architecture independent, and the base Debian system
>> already depends on perl.  Just a thought (i.e. not a request).

Jean> Please don't.  I find it disturbing that I have to install such
Jean> a large package as perl to get even a minimal Debian system up.
Jean> With a little pruning, I was able to eliminate all packages
Jean> depending on perl except for dpkg-ftp.  Hopefully Diety will
Jean> eliminate this dependency.

	Quite. So the package should use only those bits of perl that
 reside on the base system already (please look at the policy lists
 for details). The /usr/bin/perl interpreter is reasonably small, and
 should soon be in essential package perl-base (if you think I am
 wrong, please reply on the debian-policy list).

	manoj

--
 We'd like to make a deal with the computer.  We promise not to fold,
 spindle or mutilate if it will stop asking us to sign our name over