Re: Experimental base-passwd redesign

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > Could your update-passwd program be easy written in perl?  That would
> > make it architecture independent, and the base Debian system already
> > depends on perl.  Just a thought (i.e. not a request).
>
> Please don't.  I find it disturbing that I have to install such a
> large package as perl to get even a minimal Debian system up.  With a
> little pruning, I was able to eliminate all packages depending on perl
> except for dpkg-ftp.  Hopefully Diety will eliminate this dependency.

I agree, it's annoying to have such a large package a critical part of the
system. Without perl it is alot simpler to install debian on small
computers for things like demand dial ppp (50M is ample if you are
carefull)

Anyhow, it's unlikely that Deity will use perl as part of it's core
system, I'm not perl wiz at least ;>

Jason