Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
[snip]
>  a) The number of people who need to install GNU packages on their own
>     is a minority of the users of Debian (I do not have any non-Debian
>     GNU stuff at the moment)
>  b) Most GNU software is already in Debian.
>
> 	So, to make things a trigle easier for a minority of the
>  people, we are risking destabilizing the distribution?

More info:

The check for Debian's install-info is made in _EVERY_ Makefile
generated by a recent GNU `automake' (I originally mentioned only Cygnus
packages).

  Sun May  4 15:21:22 1997  Tom Tromey  <tromey@cygnus.com>

	  * texinfos.am (install-info): Avoid the Debian install-info.
	  (uninstall-info): Likewise.

Since `automake' "handles" the problem, a lot of GNU packages actually
don't face a problem.  But, users face the problem that their `dir' file
isn't (mysteriously) updated on Debian systems.

Also, `install-info' is a relatively new GNU tool, which may not be
widely used in GNU utils _not_ using `automake'.

Since the problem isn't as bad as originally thought, we could just
ignore it.

I would, however, like a fix.  Maybe by passing the buck to
FSF/texinfo/configure@cygnus.com, asking them to change the interface of
`install-info'.  Maybe by fixing Debian's install-info.  Maybe both.

- Hari