Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

On 1 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	The only objection I have to the wrapper script is that it
>  depends on the roots PATH having /usr/sbin before /usr/bin. At the
>  moment, normal Debian installations work, irrespective of PATH
>  ordering of root. We do not know how many sys admins change roots
>  PATh. I do, my path setting script works on 15 different platforms,
>  and uses perl to prune directories, etc.

If you are experienced enough to change root's path, then hopefully, you
will be experienced enough to solve an install-info problem.  If not, it's
the user's fault.  Is it our fault when the user sets LANG=us?

> 	People who need to install GNU software on their own, now need
>  to add to their PATH variable while running configure and make
>  install for the gnu package. By default, I think, GNU stuff already
>  looks into /usr/local/bin before looking into /usr/bin (so even the
>  path change will not be required).

So we keep an install-info that's different than gnu's version and force
the user to change their path whenever they want to use gnu's version.  I
think this show's up not just from gnu software, but any non-debian
program that uses install-info.

>  a) The number of people who need to install GNU packages on their own
>     is a minority of the users of Debian (I do not have any non-Debian
>     GNU stuff at the moment)

Ok, it's just a minority.  Let's forget about them.  While I'm at it, I'll
suggest that every cd maker discontinue making debian disk because we're a
minority.

>  b) Most GNU software is already in Debian.

As I said above, I'm not sure this only a gnu problem.  We do support
non-debian software to a degree don't we?  (Hint: alien, rpm)

> 	So, to make things a trigle easier for a minority of the
>  people, we are risking destabilizing the distribution?

Please point out where things are getting less stable.

>  "What happened to the kaboom? There was supposed to be an
>  earth-shattering kaboom!" The Martian

I've got that sound effect.

Comments?
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html
                  PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds