Re: Microsoft/Marimba/W3C Open Software Description (OSD)

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> Anyone else find this interesting?
>
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C13387%2C00.html
> http://www.microsoft.com/standards/osd/
> http://www.marimba.com/osd/
> http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-OSD.html
>
> It looks like Marimba and Microsoft are working on developing
> a standardized format based on XML for describing software (and
> dependencies) for use in electronic software distribution
> (aka "push") products.

I was reading a description of this in.. umm.. I think it was a Windows NT
Rag (Backoffice?).

The artical was about something called CDL, Channel Definian Language, and
it was a push tech based on XML designed to compete with Netscape's Point
Caster.

The article didn't make any mention of installing software, but it would
be the logical direction eh?

My question would be Why? We have a very nice pull system in place, having
a server push the software to Debian users would be a waste of bandwidth?

Or is it something different?

Jason