Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

Stefan Berndtsson wrote:

> Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > Shame for you if you don't use it and shame for all Makefiles that don't
> > use it.
>
> Hello???? Wake up!!! It's not an issue who you wish to put the blame on.
> It's a fact that there are a shitload of programs using makefiles and not
> using CC=, and just because you, or the majority of the people, don't agree
> with that kind of usage, it is there. Ignoring that fact is plain stupidity.
>
> And please explain the reason why I should erase all small programs I have,
> just because they happen to be in one file, and doesn't need a makefile,
> even for portability.
>
> /Stefan

Hey, I don't mean to erase all small programms with only a main or 2 or
3 files. It's easy to change the Makefile or compile them by hand.
I'm talking about the big ones which need libraries and includes and
never find them on you're system unless you change all makefiles in all
directories.

Imagine something like XFree having no configuration script and you
would have to change something?

And also imagine something like XFree to break just because somebody
made a link from gcc to egcc.

May the source be with you.
			Mrvn