Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> CC = gcc
> in makefiles for? Thats exacly where the compiler should be changed.

No. But not all makefiles live up to this standard. Even, (ahem) my own
dont.  We just use cc directly as needed.

And when installing new packages on your system from the net which dont
adhere to this standar, many people wont have the knowhow etc to set this
in the makefile, or even know that it should be set in the makefile.

So making the compiler be transparent to the makefile is the best
solution.  Symlinks solve everything =]

Cheers,

Manong Dibos                       *elCapitanoDelBoholClub*