Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:
>
> > Shaya Potter wrote:
> >
> > It may not be that simple.  egcc accepts new options which don't exist
> > on gcc, and in the future may lose options which gcc needs.  For now you
> > can use "gcc -b i486-pc-linux-gnu" to run egcs via the normal gcc
> > frontend (minus a few new options), but that may not be true next week.
> >
> > I've decided emilio has the best idea.  If I've got to use
> > update-alternatives, I'll use it on cc and c++.  gcc will always be gcc,
> > egcc will be egcs until it becomes the standard gcc package.
>
> Only trouble is that alot (all?) configure scripts look for GCC as gcc,
> not cc. I don't think I've even seen a package that calls cc and not gcc
> if gcc is installed.
>
> That alone probably isn't worth the trouble to worry about however!
>
> Look forward to the first egcs package!
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Package will look for gcc sure, and if they find it and gcc is prefered
above other compilers, it is taken. On the otherhand if the
configurescript looks for egcc and finds and prefers it, it will take
that. (They don't look for it yet, but they will if needed).
Imagine something as big as XFree looking for gcc and finding the link
to egcc. It hapyly thinks that it has gcc and uses options egcc doesn't
like. Then you're in big trouble.
Let the configurescript decide what compiler to use. Having a link
called gcc would make it rela hard to find out if you have gcc or egcc.

I'm also for having a cc pointing to the system prefered compiler, but
maybe not the answere. cc is used on unices for the systems own compiler
(e.g. hpux has cc) and that needs other options alltogether. Something
like ansi-cc or something else might be a better choise.

May the source be with you.
			Mrvn