Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

mdorman@debian.org wrote:

> That may be what many people portray it as, but I can tell you that it
> can also be used *very effectively* as Jean Pierre suggests.

Perhaps, but not by me.  I agree with the person who stated that /opt
should be as untouchable as /usr/local.  It's a very good sysadmin
tool...but debian packages should leave it alone.

> Why not use the update-alternatives functionality?

Well, largely because I'm a lazy bum.  Using update-alternatives means
that I have to upload a new gcc- package to unstable which can
coexist with egcs.  It just seems...well, _wrong_ somehow to hack gcc in
that manner.  But if everyone else disagrees with me, I'll do it.

debian-devel-request@lists.debian.org . Trouble?
e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .