Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, SirDibos wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > for a package, it would be really nice to be able to have a way to
> > globally switch between compilers, but I haven't the faintest idea what
> > would be involved..
>
> Have a "switcher" to flip symlinks.  have gcc be a symlink to either egcc
> or gcc, all ov which stay in their own hierarchy.
>
> For instance, maybe have egcc and gcc.orig in /usr/bin, and gcc be a
> symlink to one ov the two.  Its quick, dirty, but can anyone think of any
> reason atall why it wouldnt work?
>
> Maybe a script like this:

This isn't scalable.  Our situation here is that we require several
versions of packages like gcc available simultaneously.  Different
users will use different versions.

The current Debian /etc/alternatives approach doesn't work either.

The solution I like the best is to use the /opt directory layout.

  /opt/gcc-2.7.0
  /opt/gcc-2.7.2

Each is self contained.  Each developer can either mount exactly the
version she requires or establish a link to it.

--
Jean Pierre