Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> This isn't scalable.  Our situation here is that we require several
> versions of packages like gcc available simultaneously.  Different
> users will use different versions.
>
> The current Debian /etc/alternatives approach doesn't work either.
>
> The solution I like the best is to use the /opt directory layout.
>
>   /opt/gcc-2.7.0
>   /opt/gcc-2.7.2

As I understand it, /opt is a ghetto for commercial packages which can't
know in advance anything about the structure of the linux box they've
been installed on.  I don't think that's appropriate in this case.

I really don't see any good solution to this one.  I'm going to release
egcs with binaries "egcc", "eg++", etc., and those who want to change
things can go into /usr/bin/ themselves and move things around.

--Galen