Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Well, largely because I'm a lazy bum.  Using update-alternatives means
> that I have to upload a new gcc-2.7.2.2 package to unstable which can
> coexist with egcs.  It just seems...well, _wrong_ somehow to hack gcc in
> that manner.  But if everyone else disagrees with me, I'll do it.

If /opt is really untouchable by debian, then well, that seems the only
option :-/  If the alternative to gcc is that much better, it shouldnt get
complaints from anyone if gcc itself has to be hacked a little bit.

OTOH, I can see it end up being hours and hours of work.  Or 15 minutes.
I dunno gcc that well.  If it takes more than 3 hours, maybe at least look
into the /opt solution?

/opt is a Good Thing.  We've finally found a use for it:  Debian has
always stood for excellence.  Lets not let tradition hold us back from
utilizing the full technical capabilities that are open to us.

Don Dibos
http://www.techniq.com/linuxos/