How make Debian fit for other languages?

On Aug 03, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > I will right start to translate the app-defaults, that I have installed.
> > I will try to think about other possibilities.
> >
> > Are there more people interested in "foreign" debian?
>
> Sure. I am. :-)

Good!

> > Perhaps we could start a mailing list or so.
>
> I guess that's what debian-i18n@lists.debian.org is for. C'mon,
> let's move this discussion there and try to reduce the load on
> devian-devel.
> And there already is debian-l10n-spanish@lists.debian.org for
> discussion (in spanish) about the translation to spanish. (I think
> that there's also a debian-french lists for related issues).

I had trouble subscribing to i18n, but now I'm in.

However, I think we should start with a general discussion, how other
languages than english should be supported.

Are there any people on the i10n and debian-french list, that are hearing
me? What do you do for language-support?

For the Xprograms:

I started to translate the Xresources I have installed in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults to german. This works good enough, but some
text is hardcoded in the source code, or the resources are specified
nowhere. I try to find as much resources as possible (with editres), but
what should be done with sourcecode, that contains text? Should we
* mail the upstream maintainer and beg for support
* patch the sourcecode
* ...? (any ideas)

Another thing are console programs, that do not support GNU locale neither
work with Xresources. This are in my opinion the most troublesome.

And should the language specific file distributed with each package or
distributed in a single package (like Xgerman for me)?

Any ideas?
Any comments?

Thank you, Marcus
(Please reply only debian-i18n@lists.debian.org and myself, but not to