Re: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?

Marco Budde wrote:

> In Germany there're a lot of
> distributions like SuSE, Unifix or DLD that offers a installation
> procedure in German language. And the most beginners really love this
> distributions for this feature.

Thanks to Michele Dalla Silvestra <dalla@pluto.linux.it> Debian has the
resque disk almost fully translated in Italian
	(ftp://ftp.pluto.linux.it:/pub/debian-it/)
and now I'm trying to push this effort upstream to Sven's boot-floppies.

I am very strongly on the side to have a full set of installation disks
where the user can choose the language (with cdrom installation space
isn't an issue anymore; we should also provide disks images for each
language).

This is not the easiest thing because most script should be rewritten in
a language that accept localization.

> JP> I'd like to see the "main" Debian project provide some more
> JP> support for such "satellite" distributions.
>
> We should start to include foreign package descriptions in the control
> file for important languages like Spanish, France and German.

This is something that should be handled by deity/dpkg: is the deity
team already aware of this?

> Be should set up teams for this translation work. The package
> maintainer could send his English description to a mailing list
> and will get a translation from every team.

Like the GNU teams in the li.org mailing lists.
I tryed to investigate the possibility to use such lists for the italian
translation of debian documents, but I got "strange" reactions from FSF,
although the list reacted kindly.
Maybe Debian could officially ask to FSF permission to get help from
those well organized teams?

Fabrizio