Re: Summary? Re: source dependencies - and recomndations

On %M %N, Steve Greenland wrote
> In an attempt to get closure, I'm going summarize what I've seen
> so far. I'm not trying specify exact syntax here.

great. thanks.

> Case 2:
>
> Goal: package rebuilds, from some minimum functionality level
> to everything.
>
> Solution:
>
> Source-Depends: x,y
> Source-Recommends: z
> Source-Suggests: t
>
> Not sure how architecture needs are fit into this, except as "if you're
> building on i386, we suggest you install 't'". Of course, we could add a
> -<arch> field to each of these.

For autobuilding, the build script will combine all three Fields to one,
and threat it as a single Source-Depends. So th effect is a optical
effect IMO.

> Opinion: I like the Case 1, Source-Depends, Source-Depends-<arch>
> solution. It's easy to explain, easy to add, and would seem easy to
> implement. The alternate would work, but seems like overkill, and has
> more opportunities to get wrong.

second.

> I don't like Case 2, mostly because I disagree that we ought to be
> solving that goal. If you want (re-)build the debian package, then it's
> not sufficient, if you don't, you're probably working with the original
> source anyway.

we can united case 2 and case 1, but i don't think that case 2 has any
advantages.

andreas