Re: source dependencies - and recomndations

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Steve Greenland wrote:
> > How about not. Instead, just make the "Source-Depends:" list the tools
> > needed to build the package *as it was built for Debian*.
>
> Becuase, the package is built differently for different architectures.
>
> In my example of xaos, which Source-Recommends: svgalib1 , it is not built
> with svgalib on architectures (like m68k), that don't have svgalib.
[...]
> The point of Source-Depends is not for the casual package compiler, it's for
> autocompiling. You _need_ to know, for autocompiling, what packages can be
> compiled with the tools you have available, and what tools you need to
> install to compile the rest.
[...]

It would seem, then, that Depends vs. Recommends split is not sufficiently
explicit.  The i386 autocompiler and the m68k aqutocompiler both need
their own explicit set of Depends entries.  Given that, and the policy
that the purpose of all of this is to make it clear how to build the
package as it was built for Debian, it seems that the need for Recommends
disappears.