Re: Hosed my debian system.

On %M %N, G. Dale Miller wrote
> I think I have done something rather stupid. I have been waiting for
> the libreadlineg2 package to appear so I could configure gdb. I found
> it last night and decided to install it. What I didn't notice was that
> there was a new libreadline2 package as well. I tried to install
> libreadlineg2 and it said it conflicted with libreadline2 so I did the
> following.
>
> dpkg --purge --force-depends libreadline2.

congratulations. this kills your system !
(i did the same *eg*)

use your rescue boot disk, boot,
make an extended 2 filesystem on your swap partition, install base disks
to your swap partition, boot with the boot disk from your swap
partition, mount your readl root to /target, copy bash and readline from
your swap partition to the right partition, install the symlinks.
shutdown your system, boot the real system,
make swapspace from your swappartition and activate your swap.
reinstall libreadline (the one from incoming !), bash and libreadlineg.

have fun with your glibc2 system.

andreas
(debian is great ! installing base on your swap partition is the best
 rescue disk i ever met.)