Re: Time to remove rex?

On %M %N, SirDibos wrote

> On 29 Jul 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > Is it appropriate to remove rex (Debian 1.2) from the ftp archive?
>
> No!  Please dont.
>
> At my local library, rex is the only distro that works on the 386sx that
> we have for people to telnet out and check their email.  It uses a dialup
> (ppp) connection.

i installed bo 1.3.1 on a 386 yesterday. using floppy0 / lowmemroot,
compiling a special kernel (on a pentium :-), and installing it,
and now we have a server here (mail, pop, dhcpd, boa) !

the system has 4 mb ram, and a 10 mb swap partition.
without swap it doesn't work (i cannot run fdisk and mkswap to create
a larger swap partition. i did that from a the install boot disk).

> Every blinking time I upgrade to 1.3, I *cannot* make pppd dial out.  And
> when I dial out by hand, pppd wont take the bait and finish flipping the
> line over to the right protocol.

ok. i did not try ppp.

andreas