Re: source dependencies

James Troup writes:
 > Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
 >
 > > > How about automake?
 > >
 > > automake creates Makefiles, before packageing a program.  so you
 > > don't need it to compile it.
 >
 > Well it's definitely run a lot during debian/rules build runs on my
 > machine...

Then I think those packages' 'rules' should be modified to allow it
not to be installed. I think that's the GNU policy, at least, so it
should be possible to apply to Debian.

Maybe it should even be specified in Debian Policy (or another such
document) thatneither automake, nor autoconf, nor any other such tools
(libtool, gettext, etc.) should be used to run "debian/rules build".

 > Personally I don't think makeinfo should be in tetex-bin.

Fully aggreed. I even think that such a big package is a bad thing in
itself; but that's not the point here, so let's talk about that later.

--
Yann Dirson <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>
alt-email:<ydirson@a2points.com>

http://monge.univ-mlv.fr/~dirson