Re: Diety UI draft

Rob Browning writes:
 > Behan Webster <behanw@verisim.com> writes:
 >
 > > But just in case I'm completely wrong about this, I'm writing down
 > > your suggestion on my wish list.
 > >
 > > (I hope that didn't come out as too negative.  I like the idea, I
 > > just don't think it's something we can do _reliably_.)
 >
 > How about always displaying a projected time to finish (a la ncftp)
 > when downloading, and then store a weighted average of all the recent
 > download rates to use in estimations.
 >
 > i.e. if you know that you've gotten an average of 2.3kb/s over the
 > past 5 MB of download, that's probably a pretty good indication of
 > what you're going to get during the next download.

I don't think even this would give anything useful this way. I have
the habit of watching at diald's dctrl graphical view of transfer
rates on my PPP link. It varies far too much.

But maybe we can keep statistics on the best and worst timings while
transfgering 5Mb... This could be much more useful than a single
number without knowledge of how much accurate it is...

--
Yann Dirson <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>
alt-email:<ydirson@a2points.com>

http://monge.univ-mlv.fr/~dirson