Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software?

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> [I posted this earlier, it seems to have gotten lost.]
>
> Check out http://www.i2osig.org/ "i2o" is a developing "non-proprietary"
> standard for high-performance computer peripherals. Unfortunately, it's a
> closed standard, it requires a NDA, and you need a license to develop
> software for it. Their terms are:

I'll have to check the rags at work, but if I recall this is something
Intel was really pushing hard.

It's based on putting an intel i960 CPU on each MB, it would handle all
int requests instead of the main CPU. It runs a version of VxWorks (or at
least something provided by WindRiver) which is a hard realtime operationg
system suitable for this kind of task. As I understood it there would be
several layers of abstraction basically resulting in the 'device driver'
for all software residing on the i960 and communication with the OS
through a standard interface common to a class of peripherical. So they
toute the benifits as making hardware faster, CPU's faster and by removing
the driver burden from the OS vendor.

This I2O Sig might not be as you fear, especially if Intel developed this
thing, you might want to look at intels page for information about it?
I haven't seen any mention of the I960 on this page.. Hmm

The trade rags like EE times and so on have had about an article or two
and usually a product relating to this for the past few months now..

Jason