The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software?

[I posted this earlier, it seems to have gotten lost.]

Check out http://www.i2osig.org/ "i2o" is a developing "non-proprietary"
standard for high-performance computer peripherals. Unfortunately, it's a
closed standard, it requires a NDA, and you need a license to develop
software for it. Their terms are:

	Membership is $5000/year.
	You can't develop software or hardware for it without being a member.
	You can't disclose source code for your drivers.
	You must stop making hardware or software for it if you lose membership.
	Members can vote out other members.

The backers of this are Microsoft, Novell, Hewlet-Packard, and NETFrame.
It looks as if the i2o agreements are deliberately written to exclude free
software.

I suspect that if i2o peripherals become popular, free operating systems
will be locked out from running on PC hardware.

Please take a look at this and give me a reality check.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader
--