Re: OpusTeX copyright and distribution policy

On Jul 13, Anthony Fok wrote
> On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > Then they say you can't sell it except for maint., support, and duplication
> > costs, when most CD manufacturers also have _profit_ in the equation. Not
> > a lot of profit, and certainly not profit solely from MisiXTeX, but these
> > people want to make a buck from being in the CD business.
> >
> > I'd say it goes in non-free. I think you should encourage the authors to
> > use the Artistic license, as that seems closest to their intent.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try to contact the authors to clarify the
> situation.  May I forward your message to Taupin and the MuTeX (general
> music typesetting) mailing list?  ^_^
>
> It would be nice for MusiXTeX to adapt the Artistic licence.  ^_^  Hmm...
> about OpusTeX, do you think if it is anywhere close to the Artistic
> licence?  (Maybe it is time for me to actually *read* the Artistic
> licence.  ^_^)  I wish Egler would agree to allow the distribution of
> OpusTeX on Debian CD-ROMs.  ^_^  ($3.99?  I'm really amazed!  ^_^)

Remember, that either Debian nor GNU nor Linux say, "You can't sell it for
more than 4 $". So, the license must allow it, to sell a CD with only
MusicTeX on it for 9999$, even if no one is going to buy it...

This is for the GPL, I don't know about the Artistic one, ...

Marcus
--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann