doc-base package: All compression configurable?

: Please calm down and read the proposal again. First, nothing in the
: proposal is included "just to stop a discussion". Second, files are
: installed uncompressed only as default. All packages will support the new
: "doc-base" package which will compress all HTML files automatically (even
: without asking the user), if the local sysadmin has decided to do so.

Can we extend that doc-base package to do the same for manpages and info stuff
etc? I have long thought that all compression should be sysadmin controlled.