Re: Packaging system improvements

But, as Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
said:

> The main problem I face when looking for a package is that dselect can't
> go to a section or search full text. Lets say I search for a fractal
> program? How could I find it? [...]

I tend to avoid using dselect, but I have occasionally used it to
search for a package which does XYZ, and wishing that it'd search
the full package description for me.  Currently, I generally
"zless Packages.gz" and do a text search.  Doing that, I see
two packages mentioning "fractal":  xaos in section graphics,
and xmountains in section games.

I think that the search capabilities need to be a good match with
what users will be searching for.  If package searches don't do
a good job of finding what users want to find, they're not very
useful (regardless of how straightforward the search methodology).

IMO, whatever other fancy search strategies are offered, a brute-force
search of package Description fields for a case-insensitive match with
a user-supplied keyword (or keyword list) should be available.