Re: fixhrefgz unnecessary when fixing web-browsers in the correct wayR

    Christoph> This wont work as we already have said again and
    Christoph> again. You are modifying the HTTP protocol with this
    Christoph> and creating a new .html.gz extension in essence. And
    Christoph> sometimes the web browser will get those files
    Christoph> compressed and sometimes not.

The gzipped files are served as application/x-gzip, and an entry in
"/etc/mailcap" tells the browser how to uncompress it prior to
display rendering.  The protocol isn't changed at all.

    Jim> Christoph seems to be advocating:

    Jim> 3) Store HTML files compressed, and don't munge the links -
    Jim> Lynx (and others) might work without a web server if they
    Jim> were modified - Netscape wouldn't work without a web server -
    Jim> other web browsers will work, if they use a web server such
    Jim> as boa, or a web server and dwww

    Christoph> I only advocated this as a compromise. I am for #1. And
    Christoph> I would go further and abolish all compression
    Christoph> everywhere. Compression should only be done if its
    Christoph> transparent for all apps (e2compr or zlib?). I have
    Christoph> seen so many broken packages because of manpage
    Christoph> compression etc etc. The clean solution would be to
    Christoph> stop this once and for all.

 Please read my earlier post regarding Apache run from `inetd' (or
better, from `xinetd'), and mod_rewrite.  I think we could set up an
.htaccess file for "/usr/doc" with some rewrite rules that would make
it so that if someone clicks a link in a Debian manual, the link will
be to http://localhost/doc/thing.html and the mod_rewrite will make it
so `apache' will grab that if it exists or grab thing.html.gz if /that/
exists, and failing either, will grab http://www.debian.org/doc/thing.html,
where the similar thing happens; the docs there can be gzipped as
well.

--
mailto:karlheg+sig@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg