Re: fixhrefgz unnecessary when fixing web-browsers in the correct way

douglas@pobox.com (Douglas L Stewart)  wrote on 29.06.97 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970629145338.13613D-100000@tribble>:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Jim Pick wrote:
>
> > I just did a "du -s /usr/doc" on my 386DX/33 (8MB RAM, 2-200MB HD) - and
> > it only has 11MB of docs installed.  So uncompressing those isn't going
> > to kill me - I'm sure most other people using old hardware have similar
> > usage.
> >
> > Who objects?
>
> I do.  Text often gets up to a 10-1 compression ratio.  It may be 11M all

Actually, Text very seldom gets a 10-1 ratio. 2.5-1 or 3-1, yes, with good
compressors (like gzip). But 10-1? I've only ever seen stuff like that
with fixed-record databases or Fortran sources. Those can even go to 100-1
compression.

> compressed, but if it's 100M uncompressed then you're going to annoy a lot
> of people.

Probably true.

What I'd really like here is a filesystem that can look into .tar.gz
files, at least read-only. That would solve all our doc compression
problems.

How hard would it be to do that?

MfG Kai